Monday, April 4, 2011

Faith over Fear

The beginning of anything new often brings us a sense of joy, excitement, anticipation for new outcomes, new adventures, opportunities and new potential for our lives….. When we are presented with a new beginning like a new job, new relationships, new church, new bank, new apartment or even a new brand of soap, we often experience some degree of anxiety… Right? I mean, we too often get complacent with our patterns. Why fix what ain’t broke? Is that right? Or do we refuse to acknowledge the brokenness in our lives that need to be fixed in order to keep the patterns the same…? We compromise ourselves for our comfort…
Have you ever allowed yourself to get consumed with the What If game? What If I would have taken that other job? What if I said yes? What if I said No? What if I just got up and left? What if I would have stayed? What if I give up? I mean, in almost everything we do we compare to the WHAT IF’s….. So WHAT IF we just had some conviction for our choices and never felt the need to WHAT IF it to death? I can’t really even begin to imagine walking in pure confidence. I am not sure I have ever done anything without wondering if there is something I could have done different to get a better result…Nothing….I mean, that has to be a serious problem right? Am I the only one?
What if we layed down a new definition of courage as the foundation of our choices? Courage is not the absence of fear, but the presence of faith.
Deuteronomy 31:6 tells us "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."
I am constantly second guessing everything I do. From one extreme to the next. From how I raise my kids, to how I bake cookies! I feel like I never get it right. I am usually left with regret, doubt and fear in all choices I made for the day. And what frightens me even more, is IF I had a chance to redo it…I have no clue what I would have done different. Sometimes I know exactly what I would do different….But still, given that chance, I’m sure I would second guess THAT choice too!
I so desperately want to live a life full of confidence bc I know I allow God to lead my life. Don’t confidence and the Lord go hand and hand? If I am allowing God to lead this life, why do I constantly fear my choices I have made and decision that are to come?? I don’t really have an answer for this….. So what I do when I am out of answers is pray. Let’s do that…
Dear Heavenly Father,
I am afraid God. Afraid of what I have done in the past and will do in the future. I know confidence and love run parallel with You and Your ways. I believe You when you promise to never leave me or forsake me. Please replace my fear with your Holy confidence. I want to be a woman who is secure in her choices bc they were placed in my heart by Your Spirit. I pray my insecurities will be drowned and overwhelmed by courage and confidence. I release the hold on all the WHAT IF’s of my life and I pray you will fill that void with Your plans for me. I love You Lord and all You do for my life.
In Jesus Name, AMEN!