Friday, August 3, 2012

Be Merry and Gay or be Gay and Marry?


My blog topics are typically about mothering my little hellions, drinking wine in between the tantrums, trying to have a bi-weekly social life and generally anything else under that single mom umbrella.

Those that know me, those getting to know me and those who think they know me probably know my faith. Today I’m writing about something a little bit more serious than dirty diapers, boogers and ringworm.  I’m not beating my Bible, judging, condemning or directing this at anyone or any particular group. I don’t have an agenda, nothing to gain nor do I have stock in Chick-fil-A. I’m not expressing my personal opinion, rather I’m expressing actual facts that today’s society feels entitled to challenge.

So many self-proclaimed Christians get lost looking for that line between acceptance and tolerance. Society has so cleverly confused the difference between disagreeing with one’s choices for judging the person’s decision to live against God’s commands. There is a clear and obvious difference here that many turn a blind eye to. But for those needing to conceal their sins from public display, this is a strategic defense.
There is a HUGE difference in judging someone and judging their sin. I have Christian friends who support gay marriage. I have friends with gay family members. I’ve had recent conversations with people that got my mental juices flowing, hence this blog entry.

Side bar: Sin is sin. No sin outweighs another. Adultery, idolatry, lying, stealing and being gay are equal in my eyes and I’m fairly certain it’s viewed the same in God’s eyes as well. James 2:10 - For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.
The argument is that being gay is now more socially acceptable than it was…whenever it wasn’t acceptable. And marriage is now a “civil right” that should be made accessible to anyone who desires it. My concern is, where does the meaning of acceptance end? There is a website called NAMBLA which stands for North American Man/Boy Love Association. This group believes “that if people knew more about the actual nature of typical man/boy love relationships, that there would be less unjust scapegoating and persecution of boys and men who have such relationships.” They also believe that adult males and juvenile boys should be allowed to have ANY relationships they desire, including a sexual one. If there is a group big enough that has an opinion about what is “acceptable” then where does the line end and begin? Will society soon be tolerant of this? What about Polysimist? Zoophilia or Bestiality?  

Where is our world going if we let our desires dictate where we go? What if you are happily married and your spouse gets the desire to have sex with someone else? Should we turn our heads or deem that as acceptable because their desires said to do it? We have to be accountable to something other than our desires.  There is term for this is called “hedonism.” It’s basically what America is based on today. A school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good.

I read this on Facebook: In a society that accepts virtually anything defined as a "relationship", why would we not legalize multiple spouses, adult-child relationships, and so on and on. You know we cannot be a judgmental society, as condemnation of anything that feels good is seen as wrong.
 Truth is truth whether we like it or not and whether it conflicts with our desires.  It’s not conditional or transient based on the seasons we go thru in life. We can't travel east and west at the same time anymore than we can pick and choose what we like in the Bible when it’s convenient for us in the present moment. If that’s how it worked, what’s to stop me from shoplifting groceries? I could justify it by saying I’m a single mom who receives no child support and my kids have to eat somehow. I could take it a step further and tell people that only God can judge me. This is a fact that is thrown around all the time to make people feel better about their sin. God is the only one whose judgment will actually matter in the end, yes. 

Matthew 7:1-5 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.”

As a Christian, I am commanded by God to love not only my neighbor, but my enemies as well. It is also the responsibility of a Christian to keep and abide the law of the Lord and stand up for what we believe to be true. Not society’s version of truth, but God’s word. As a Christian, I am more than capable to love and respect anyone despite their personal beliefs or lifestyle. But that does not mean that I have to agree with or support one’s choice to live a life of sin. I can pray for them. I can show them the love of Christ thru my actions and words.  Disagreement is not judgment.

As Christians, we cannot expect non-believers to conform to our beliefs. It is our duty to do our best to share the love of Christ with them through our actions, and maybe one day, after we’ve earned the right, with our words. But we as Christians should fully understand what the INERRANT word of God says. And if you think that truth is conditional, then you really don’t understand HIM at all. Additionally, we have to understand that if we choose to stand for our beliefs, people are NOT going to like us and they’re going to persecute us. But that doesn’t mean we change our stance or the way we treat those who disagree with us.

The biggest lie the enemy is operating in right now is convincing all these “Christians” who change their minds when the wind blows that that’s okay and it’s what God would want. Loving everyone does not equate to supporting and agreeing with everyone. But the sad fact is that those of us that know the truth, but choose to ignore it will be held even more accountable than those who have never accepted Christ in their heart.

 “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”  - Rick Warren


Thanks to a very special friend who shared her heart with me and contributed to the views of this post. Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.